First posted on 07-19-2012
Some of Arkansas’s youngest and best artists had their talents on display this summer at the Witt Stephens Jr. Central Arkansas Nature Center. The young artists were competing in the Arkansas State Fish Art Contest sponsored by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission.
Students from across the state sent in over 1,000 entries. Along with their art work, student artists were required to send in an essay describing the state’s fish that the student selected to draw. Winners and hometowns:
1. Madison Mourot, Morrilton
2. Chloe Copeland, Damascus
3. Jacob Usrey, Alpena
Fourth Grade-Sixth Grade:
1. Parker Wright, Fort Smith
2. Taylor Mann, Star City
3. Ryan Davis, Star City
Seventh Grade-Ninth Grade:
1. Taylor Chrissonberry, Cabot
2. Marianna Gregg, Mountain Home
3. Julia Bielanin, Cabot
10th Grade-12th Grade:
1. Grace Rutter, Little Rock, and the winner of a $1,000 scholarship.
2. Haley Jones, Little Rock, and the winner of a $500 scholarship.
3. Lauren Worthington, Little Rock and the winner of a $250 scholarship.
Arkansas also had a national winner in the essay contest of the State Fish Art Contest. Macey Hoggard of El Dorado High School got first place. Brook Jones, a fourth grader from Greenwood’s East Point Elementary received an honorable mention in the contest.
For more information and to view artwork and read essays go to http://www.statefishart.com.
We'd like to hear your thoughts on this article. Reader input is what we're all about at freshare, so please feel free to comment.