Exploring the Ozarks Outdoors: freshare.net

Lawn, Gardening or Insect Problem:  Who Ya Going to Call?

By University of Mo. Extension

First posted on 08-21-2014

If you have a lawn or gardening problem, who are you going to call for research-based and unbiased answers?

Volunteers working the Master Gardeners of Greene County Hotline have answers to your home gardening questions.

The hotline is staffed with Master Gardener volunteers from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to noon on Saturdays from March through October.

The hotline can be reached by telephone at 417-881-8909 ext. 320 or by email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

Visitors are always welcome to come in personally to the Hotline Room located in the west end of the Springfield Botanical Center at 2400 S. Scenic Avenue in Springfield.

Clients who come in person can visit face-to-face with master gardeners and can bring in a sample of the problem for better diagnois.

Community Impact

The Master Gardener program is a popular statewide volunteer community-service organization administered through University of Missouri Extension. The organization’s goal is to train gardeners who are willing to share their knowledge with others. Master Gardeners become volunteers of University of Missouri Extension and donate hours for community educational projects in horticulture.

In 2012, over 250 MU Extension-trained Master Gardeners provided about 20,494 hours of volunteer horticulture services locally. Master Gardeners provide educational programs, work in demonstration gardens, answer horticulture questions from members of the public and assist with various other community projects.

Training in gardening and landscaping also leads to more spending in those areas. According to a 2005 story in Gardening Magazine, Springfield has the 3rd highest per capita spending on horticulture in the United States.

Learn more about the Master Gardeners of Greene County online at http://mggreene.org or contact the MU Extension Center in Greene County at (417) 881-8909.


We'd like to hear your thoughts on this article. Reader input is what we're all about at freshare, so please feel free to comment.

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.